My Hamster Died

rip - my hamster

Today is a sad day for me as my hamster Minni has passed away. I came home from work this evening and found her cold and unresponsive in her nest. Usually, she wakes up at the slightest sound of me in the vicinity in the hope of a treat, but sadly tonight that wasn’t to be.

It appears that she passed away peacefully in her sleep as she was curled up with her eyes closed inside her nest, she looked exceptionally cosy – I guess it’s the best way she could have gone.

Minni was the first hamster that I raised in my own home since getting my own place, she was sweet and inquisitive but wouldn’t stand for any nonsense – if she didn’t want to play she would let you know with a gentle nip. I guess that’s why I didn’t give her as much attention as perhaps I should have done. That said, she would always come down from her nest to say hello whenever I was near (probably more for a treat than for the conversation, but considering the circumstances, I’ll let that slide).

She has left behind Maxx, her long time friend, ball running partner and next door neighbour who seems very melancholy since she passed away, who knows, maybe hamsters grieve too.

Rest in peace Minni.

Posted on
by Andy

About Andy

Andy Warburton is a web designer and developer from the UK currently living in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. When he's not building totally awesome WordPress themes or stuffing his face with Sushi, Andy can be found hanging out with his wonderful wife and child. You should totally follow me on Twitter

6 Comments – Join The Discussion!

• Aw, sorry to hear that Andy :^(

By Timmargh on November 22, 2007 @ 12:45 pm | # | Reply

• I am very sorry Andy.

By Brooke on November 22, 2007 @ 3:37 pm | # | Reply

• Awww, I’m so sorry to hear about your little hammie, Andy!

By Lisa on November 23, 2007 @ 7:39 am | # | Reply

• Thanks guys, she meant a lot to me, but at the end of the day, she is after all, just a hamster. We had two short but great years together. It’s enough to get attached, but not enough for it to be a significant impact on your life when they pass away.

By AndyK on November 23, 2007 @ 8:44 pm | # | Reply

• Sorry to hear about that andy… I had a black bear hamster… one day i noticed that the food wasnt being touched. Then i went to pat him in his cage. He didnt move then i took the cover off and he was curled up in a ball with his eyes closed. He died in his sleep… his name was Kota. We miss him alot! The following day we got a new hamster. Its a black bear hamster too.

By Brock on June 7, 2008 @ 4:57 pm | # | Reply

• dude my hamster died today and i feel absolutley gutted i meen i actualli loved my hamster i had a strong bond with it believe it or not, it used to climb on my head and stuff and now its died im 18 and still feel quite sad even though through sterotypes i aint meant to give a crap, R.I.P hammy! 12/06/2008 best hamster ever i meen it.

By Danny on June 12, 2008 @ 8:36 pm | # | Reply